Geocoding is the process of transforming an address into a set of coordinates that can be used on a map.
Reverse geocoding, on the other hand, is about converting coordinates to readable address.
This plugin provides recipes for both geocoding and reverse geocoding using online providers. It supports caching and batching options.
- Forward geocoding providers: Arcgis, Baidu, Bing*, CanadaPost, FreeGeoIP, Gaode, GeocodeFarm, Geonames, GeoOttawa, Gisgraphy, Google, HERE, IPInfo, Komoot, LocationIQ, MapBox, MapQuest*, Mapmind, OpenCage, OpenStreetMap, Tamu, TGOS, TomTom, USCensus*, What3Worls, Yahoo and Yandex
- Reverse geocoding providers: Arcgis, Baidu, Bing*, Gaode, GeocodeFarm, Gisgraphy, Google, HERE, Komoot, LocationIQ, MapBox, MapQuest, OpenCage, OpenStreetMap, USCensus, What3Worls and Yandex
*: batch geocoding is also available for these providers
|Author||Dataiku (Thomas Labadie)|
|License||Apache Software License|
How To Use
You need to install the plugin and then use the newly installed recipes.
Some API providers might need an API key to use their service. Please refer to each provider’s website for further informations on their usage conditions and rate limits.
You can customise how the caching is done in the plugin settings. Multiple options are available:
- Cache location (Dataiku data directory by default)
- Cache size per geocoding type (1000MB = 1GB by default)
- Cache eviction policy per geocoding type (Least Recently Stored by default)
Each recipe lets you also choose:
- A prefix for the output columns.
- To enable or disable cache and/or batch (if available).
You can use this recipe multiple times in a row using different providers, for exemple in case the previous providers failed on some inputs. It will only try to recompute rows which outputs are not already filled.
Which Provider Should I Use?
Confused between all theses providers? You should choose one that is optimal for the region of the world you want to geocode on.
Free providers usually have quite small limits, so you should consider upgrading to a paid plan when you go into production.
|Geocoder.ca (Geolytica)||CA & US||Rate Limit|
|World||Rate Limit, Policy|
|IPInfo||World||Rate Limit, Plans|
|Komoot (OSM powered)||World|
This plugin uses two amazing Python libraries to provide you with these features: